Sunday, November 27, 2005

Life Really CAN BE Simple...

It truly can.

I've been asked recently, not once, but AT LEAST twice..."why don't you just write a book?" It's really a good question. Aside from how truly egomaniacal it would make me feel to even THINK that someone...no...ANYONE...would take the time to read a book written by me, there's the simple question of "who'd listen/read/interpret/relate/live it anyway?"

I live my life, take my stances, research and write passionately. Complete. I feel tremendous guilt if I don't give more than I'm capable of at all times. Meticulous, organized, anal, whatever...it's who I am. And, quite frankly, allows me to at least be content with myself.

The problem is, I KNOW how high my expectations are for myself, and often, I expect others in my close circle to acheive them as well. I shouldn't, but I do. I admit it. It's probably difficult to come even close to 50% in terms of keeping up with what I expect in terms of organization, cleanliness, peacefulness. Trouble is, I'd settle for 10% at this point, because common sense and a desire for order are in such seemingly short supply.

My first rule of business...no...LIFE...is that "It's IMPOSSIBLE to be successful in ANYTHING, without a COMPLETE COMMITMENT to ORGANIZATION." Seems easy right? Not really. Take a look around. Right. Now get to work.

See, you can't keep up. It doesn't matter to you. Cleanliness is NOT next to godliness as the saying goes...cleanliness (figuratively, literally, physically) is next to perfection. Organization leads to success - both in life's journies, business ventures, and, I daresay, to ultimate peace of mind. Think about it. How great of a feeling is it - however fleeting it is for you in your world - to just breathe in for 10 seconds a truly organized, clean environment? It's amazing. Everything in place.

Apply this to ANYTHING you do...and be amazed at the results.

Wanna know how to take nearly $50LARGE in debt, to NOTHING in 12 months? I've done it.

Wanna know how to take a business from nothing and build it into a viable, growing entity? I've done it. And continue to do so daily.

Wanna know how to commandeer over 1100 CD's and 300+ DVD's and keep them library-like in physical nature as well as alphabetical and chronological, making them very easy to find? Check.

I'm no better than anyone else in this world. I've got my pluses, and they are FAR FAR FAR outweighed by my minuses... but I do know that regardless of whether my voice or sales talents are mediocre at best, my ability to organize my life - and my DESIRE to do so out of devotion to my own success and happiness not because someone tells me to - but because I WANT to - is better than most anyone's. Not bragging, mind you, just shooting straight.

Anyway, in the interest of "writing a book", I've decided instead to offer up a few examples of how to be the best to yourself. "Use my system" (crassness fully implied, by the by) and I'll guarantee that you'll make your life so much better.

1) Decide to do something...and DO IT. Do it THEN. Do it NOW. Do it IMMEDIATELY. When you say out loud "I'm gonna..." the only person you'll let down is yourself if you put it off. That is, unless you're promising to do something...even the SMALLEST thing for someone else. In that case, however small the premise, action or "thing" is...you've let yourself down AND someone else.

If you're cool with that...don't bother reading any farther. And don't ever come here to read anything again.

2) Don't take shortcuts. Live, work, play to the fullest. Don't search for the easy way out of anything. Don't clip coupons. Don't "look for the best deal." Don't try to "stick it to the man." It's too late for that. A few pennies saved are gonna add up to $13.76 later on life...don't spend it all in one place, Rockafeller. Conversely, if we're talking about shortcuts taken during work...I think even a monkey knows the ramifications of half assed effort(s). Whether it's cleaning your surroundings, raising your children, working at WORK...whatever. You know the drill. Hard work is what pays off. And, there's a definitive line betwixt this concept of "working smarter, not harder" and real life/good old fashioned EFFORT. I prefer the latter. In everything. You? Good. Keep reading.

3) Take 30 minutes out of your day...and clean and/or organize your surroundings. Write out your plan of attack for the day FIRST THING IN THE MORNING. That's an example of organizing. Put your clean clothes away, or, sort your dirty ones. Dust off the TV. Make your bed. Clean your room. Pick up after your kids. Pay the bills you've got stacked up. Empty/change out the trash. Take a break from taking a break, and clean your living room while you watch TV - OFF of the couch. You'll be amazed at how much work you can get done in just 30 minutes a day. Even several of the above examples - if not all - can be accomplished in 30 minutes - even broken up into smaller sessions if needed.

4) Read. Learn. CARE. Load up Yahoo.com, read your local newspaper, watch a documentary...whatever. Cliche? Yes, but KNOWLEDGE (even that gained from most of the crappy papers readily available) truly is power. Go further. Check out a book or article on a current event that might trouble you even in the slightest. (Don't get me started on politics, please...). Further, check out several articles - including those with differing takes and opinions. Get both sides of each argument (you should do this anyway with EVERYTHING...)Take the time to learn about the world around you, and watch the lemmings in your rearview mirror fall to their deaths off of figurative cliffs everywhere, speeding up their respective demises, by simply eating what's fed to them, believing what they're told by the talking heads/government officials, shopping where they're told to shop. They'll perish long before you...if you just START to give a shit about expanding your grey matter to include some newfound knowledge on a daily basis.

I understand that the above examples may be difficult for many to realize despite their sheer simplicity...but I'M capable. And I'm very far away from being perfect. Never will be. But that won't stop me from trying to get there. I stop and enjoy the roses when I can. But, let's be honest. Roses die. Knowledge, and your legacy - both to yourself and to others - lives forever. Are you down with yours as it is? If so, congrats...talk to you...never. Bye. If not, cool. Keep trying, then. Or, in most cases...START trying.

Life can be simple...but only if you start by committing to yourself and to a life of zero complacency.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home