Friday, September 23, 2005

Getting off the Angry Chair for a brief moment...

I'm one lucky SOB. Truly. In spite of the bullshit I deal with every day by the sheer virtue of being a citizen of this allegedly "great" country, I'm blessed.

Over time, I've been able to decide a relatively broad direction of where I want to go and what I want to do with my life.

Part of that included getting married (I am, and extremely happily I might add...), having children (I'm blessed with two beautiful children who I love more than life itself) and finding a "job" that would allow me to use my "talents" to the fullest.

Somehow, I've managed to parlay my average ability as into building a successful company that allows me to work from the comfort of my own home studio/dungeon/office.

I've been angry for so much of my life. Angry with people who thought they were better than me. Angry with people whose minds have been seemingly glued shut so tightly, that they'll likely explode someday. Angry with my inability to acheive perfection in everything I do. Angry with society in general and the folks who push most of the buttons. Angry with the complacency that permeates our society...nay...our world.

But, to take time out from that, to acknowledge that there is indeed light at the end of life's tunnel, is a big step. Here goes.

I've met many heroes in my life. People I've admired from afar for whatever reason. Henry Rollins and Muhammad Ali. Just to name two of my main heroes. I've also been able to cross the fan/fan-ee line with a newfound friend of mine, named Steve Corino. Steve is an amazing individual, not just in the wrestling ring (where he is magical), but being around the same age as me, and having a young son like I do, was a great link to start with. A mutual love of sick and twisted humor, wrestling, video games and chick flicks has allowed us to be friends. Even better, is his ability to see the bigger picture of what he wants to acheive in life. From family to business. To never stop setting goals. I admire folks who are able to rise above and choose their paths - instead of having them set in front of them and taking what is given. Through Steve, I've met some other great folks (including my socio/political brother from another mother Ricky Landell) and I've had a chance to expand my voiceover talents as well - and I'm forever grateful for that.

Some folks that could be considered heroes as well, would be the close friends I've met in the last 3 years that have gotten to know me as a person and not just an average (or worse) voiceover guy. People like Roy Cunningham. A man whose talents are endless, and who will live to be 155 and be happy every second of the way. He's been able to give me words of advice, kicks in the ass, and the shoulder to lean on when things haven't been (at least temporarily) all that great.

My friends, sports and poker buddies, Big Rap, Little Rap, J Dub. I've allowed these guys into my circle of friends. A circle I'm very protective of, as folks tend to come and go throughout life so often, that couldn't care less about what's going on with the real you. These guys provide the laughs and company that I need to combat the daily grind. They're damn good at it too.

My co-conspirators in the software industry who help me build, represent and sell a product that my family has worked hard to create. The few hours of time I get to spend with Sam and Michele are some of the most intense, insane and hilarious times I've ever had - and ever will have. Energy? Yeah. You can see the glow when we're together. And feel the heat too. We're special. The three of us together are unbelievable and unbeatable. Love you two.

It's difficult to be as proactive and angry as I am at seemingly all times. But, it's made much easier when I can share the thoughts and ramblings with people who genuinely care. To like me, love me, in spite of me. The unrequited love from my family is always there as well. I've got such a great familial unit. I've been lucky to have a mother who has guided me down many of life's highways and shown me through her actions that I have the ability to overcome ANYTHING. My dad and stepmom are so worthy of my respect and undying gratitude as well. My brother and sister...amazing individuals, both. Education, Love, Respect, Honor, Virtue, Hard Work. Where does it end?

Why anyone would want to tolerate a talkative, verbose, angry person like me as a friend, business partner or whatever, I truly don't know. But, I'll take it.

It seems to be a rare thing nowadays to let someone know how much they mean to you. Fears of being mocked, misunderstood or made fun of - or blown off - are very real. I don't feel that with the folks mentioned above - my true friends. I consider them to be family. They've proven themselves to be worthy of my trust and time. I respect and love all of them as only true friends can. And I really feel like I needed to get that energy out there.

I'm blessed indeed.

Thanks guys.

Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home