Monday, July 11, 2005

Anger Issues? No. Anger Management? Absolutely.

7.11.05
Back from a day on the road. Had a lot of time to think. Too much, perhaps. Aside from swearing a wee bit much (that part I agree with... was pretty TO'd that day I suppose), apparently I've offended a scattered few friends with this blog. Interesting. Hit too close to home with some of the info, apparently. Since I managed to rail against nearly every intolerant and single minded - and coincidentally ACCEPTED AS "RIGHT" - part of our society - which, let's be honest, represents nearly everyone - I can understand how that would be possible.

While I admire your ability to speak up and to have your opinion that I may have "issues," why am I not allowed to be passionate about that which I'M offended by? Oh, wait. I AM. That's why it's the personal thoughts from ME. Offended by my truth? Tough to swallow with the complaceny cocktails you consume daily? Take me out of your diet. I won't be offended by your leaving. Most folks don't take the time to care beyond their couch.

But, you wanna go to war about beliefs? Let's go. It's on. Bring what you've got. Remember, you're on my home territory here. I guess if you feel I've missed the boat. That I'll suffer for all eternity if I don't change my ways. Then, maybe, just maybe... the right thing to do is to... forgive me.

However, I don't want to take this time to get into my "non trust" in organized religion. Nor will I discuss my inability to worship a piece of cloth. Pulpits and Flagpoles will be safe for today anyway.

Let's reset the situation.

Middle class hard working, hard punishing upbringing brings about a relatively normal, if not overly loud and obnoxious, but still relatively charming as needed, young man. Said young man grows up thankful for the roof over his head and the parents (all 3) that provided clothing, food and shelter; siblings that seem to dig him pretty well, and parents who at the very least tolerate his ability to get good grades and lead a relatively boring life (compared to others his age) while being raised in Middle Class America. Doesn't drink. Doesn't smoke. Doesn't do drugs, abuse women or puppies. Gets BAPTIZED! Gets a full ride scholarship to college. Gets first full time job at the age of 20, begins tour of duty in the radio business, discovering an unbridled passion for creativity finally realized when opening own voiceover company in 2000 at 29. Along the way, marries, has two kids, buys house, sells house, moves, lives in house owned by wife's parents, but relatively out from under lock and key. Never been in trouble with the law (despite nearly getting arrested for being with minors in possession in the summer of 1990 while working at Cedar Point.) Personal income from two business ventures tops $100 large. Continues to grow on a daily basis. Survives several presidential elections of Republicans who seem bent on destroying anyone not white, male and christian. Gets fed up with this intolerance - and the racism surrounding him at every corner in Redneck, USA. And bad drivers, too. Realizes that life continues to be difficult and perhaps even more difficult as time goes on... not easier. Despite this cognization, still manages to deal with everything that upsets him with paper, pen and journal writing in lieu of physical harm to any other creatures (except for spiders. he hates them.). Feeling like a much better person for dealing with issues thusly. Yet, for this, some of his "friends" take his passionate diatribes against the complacent cattle running rampant in this country as a terrible thing.

Interesting. Anger issues? Nah. Seems to me the above mentioned young man has grown up pretty well. Since I am that fellow, I speak from experience. Indeed, I've become increasingly intolerant and PROACTIVE, to combat the loss of my fellow soldiers daily. Soldiers with brains. Soldiers who read. Soldiers who stomach the filth in front of them daily. Survivors. Soldiers who decide along the way that the road to Easy Street starts with giving up and taking it. With just accepting what is given to them on TV or delivered from the pulpit - and widely/blindly believed (that is to say, without at least researching or questioning) More power to them. They have that right. But, when that threshold is broached, they belong in no regiment of mine.

I don't want them. This web blog is called Zero Complacency for a reason. Then again, I have a long way to go to overcome my own oxymoronic existence. Although I am cognizant of it, I am steadily railing against things and people to the end that I'm less and less tolerant myself. Intolerant of Intolerance. Intolerant of Complancence. I border on piousness at times. BUT, let me make it clear, I feel no more important than any other walking pile of flesh, just more driven than the average metropolitan populations of China and the U.S. combined. And, at the very least, I'm at least making an effort to recognize with all my senses, the "BS" coming down the feeding tube on a daily basis. I don't like the way it tastes or smells. I don't want to be lumped in with those who simply can't take a stand - a real stand. Backed up with zealousness, passion, CARE. I'm not a zombie.

I refuse to accept things I disagree with, without questioning the sources. I can't. Why should I let a lying dog sleep? Try doing the same. You may be surprised to see their lack of depth when questioned. Then again, if you believe what's presented en masse, without the ability to be bothered to question any of it, don't trouble yourself.

I've got enough friends. If this blog serves to turn some folks off and/or away...well... how can I apologize for expressing what's inside? If I hold it in, and don't bring it out - won't I be bowing to that which I've been constantly railing against? There's enough folks who at the very least APPRECIATE that I'm not going to take what's thrown at me without a fight if needed. I THINK they also appreciate my candor, honesty and educated opinions - even if and ESPECIALLY IF they don't agree with my sentiments. I know who they are. I know who they AREN'T, too. The circle is relatively small. I like it that way. Always have. Allows me to focus that positive energy on the right people.

"What have I got? I've got everything." I have an awesome wife. She tolerates me. I have a pair of awesome kids. They're ahead of the curve intellectually and are the most loving children I've ever met. I have a small handful - maybe a couple handfuls (heh heh heh) of awesome friends. I have an awesome career(s). I apparently have issues with overusing the word "awesome". I have an intolerance FOR intolerance. A hatred for hatred. But, no, I DON'T HATE anyone and I sure as hell DON'T have anger issues. I feel I manage it quite well given the world that exists outside of my shell.

I'd much rather come across as "over the top" or "overtly passionate"... than "accepting, docile and resigned to the lot that appears to have been put forth"... that ain't me.

Sarcastic, Tongue In Cheek, Crass, To The Point? Sure. Educated, smart, quick witted (some may argue for the inclusion of the word "dim" there as the conjugation...but...). Absolutely.

Better than anyone else? Nope. But at the end of the day, I know I can look at myself in the mirror and know that I gave SURVIVING the onslaught of BS that most others get mired in daily, the best effort possible. That I firmly believe in everything I believe in. Without hesitation. That I firmly DISAGREE with things that I firmly disagree with. Without question. That I CARE enough... to CARE about what's happening to and around me.

Do you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home