Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Don't Call It A Blog

4.5.2005
I’ve decided to put my thoughts down on paper - or at least “screen” as it were. Thoughts that occur to me daily. Random thoughts and observations regarding what’s happening in my life and the world around me. Quite frankly, as simple a person as I consider myself to be, there’s tons happening upstairs lately. I’ve GOT to put this stuff down, lest I find myself incapable of decompression. Most of what I’m going to write about will have a political/sociological bent, as that’s really what drives my energy to write. Not much of a “here’s another ‘first in the life of my kid’” kind of person. I love my kids. As much as they disturb the momentum of working from home on a daily basis, those little people are the true light in my life…and a large reason why I fear the future like I do. Besides, I most often write about the things that encourage my poetic fervor (read: things that piss me off).

Although this will be on the web, for my friends, family and the occasional passerby on the WWWeb to see, I refuse to label it as a “blog.” That’s pigeonholing my inner turmoil and its impending irrigation into nothing more than a label. I’m here to teach. If for no one else’s benefit, for my own. Shit, as far as that goes, I’ll be the only one really interested in reading the thoughts in my own mind - daily, a year from now, ten years from now…whatever. I can’t imagine anyone being interested in what’s making me tick - or better put - what’s ticking me off. If nothing else, I hope to gain and possibly provide insight - whether just to myself, those in my “inner circle.” As I educate myself, I hope that occasionally I’ll be able to convince at least one member of this world to read more about topics that fuel my interests. To bring at least one person out of their comfort zone. To bring someone around on their way of thinking - even on something that really could legitimately “go either way.” I think the challenge of making that happen (possibly even turning myself around - maybe even several times), as I continue to research the world around me daily, not stopping at the surface of ANYTHING, constantly exploring deeper the things that I love (and, perhaps more importantly, those things that I despise…thanks Frederick…) to dig as close to the root of existence as possible - is what appeals to me most. Well, that, and long, long run on sentences.

Seriously, it’s really too bad that spending 10 minutes with every single person in this world is not a possibility. I think I could get this thing spinning in the right directions. “No Spin Zone” my ass. The “non spinning” of our society is responsible for the dead brain cells of the non thinking lemmings that share the earth with me. That’s most of this world unfortunately.

And, truth be told, I certainly don’t have all the answers. Not even freakin’ close. I’m no messiah. I don’t want followers. I’m not starting some cult. Unless it’s a cult of “READERS.” Straighten yourselves up folks. To quote the great Bill Hicks, before you jump in on some topic that a propagandist has spun towards the “right”: “Listen. Read. Think. Slow down. Shut the FUCK UP.” I wish good ol’ Bill would have been around long enough to riff a bit on Network “news”. But that’s another story. After all Terri Schiavo and The Pope are now both dead…what the hell else is there to talk about now?

And I can’t think of a better way to end transmission 1, than with this from my main man Steve Earle:

“The most important thing to remember is, no matter what anyone tells you, it is NEVER EVER unpatriotic or un-american to question ANYTHING in a democracy.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home